Portable Equipment >>
Portable equipment, such as laptop computers, that have been assigned to a faculty or staff member for more than three months must be reported to the Financial Reporting Office.
Large Equipment >>
Desktop PCs and other large items may be lent to faculty and staff for use at their homes or at alternate location. This equipment is to be used for Mason business purposes only.
Required Process to Assign/Loan an Equipment >>
- Complete the *Equipment Assignment/Loan Form.
- Obtain the necessary signatures for all equipment on loan or assignment.
- Retain the original form and send a photocopy to the Financial Reporting Office.
- Verify that the inventory report properly identifies the assignee when the next inventory report is received.
- Notify Financial Reporting when the item is returned to the department’s custody.
* Visit Equipment Use Codes for more information on completing the form.
Equipment Loaned for Less than Three Months >>
It is not necessary to notify Financial Reporting when equipment is on loan for less than three months. Nevertheless, departmental liaisons should keep a log of all equipment on loan, including names of assignees and the expected return date, in order to maintain accountability at all times.
Equipment Assignment/Loan to Individuals and Organizations Not Part of the University Community >>
This type of assignment/loan is NOT permitted, unless the responsible department head approves the loan by initiating a George Mason University Property on Loan form and the use meets one of the following criteria:
- In connection with an approved University sponsored activity, event or service.
- Part of a contractual agreement between the University and a government agency, a private business or another educational institution; and the agreement has been reviewed for consistency by University Counsel.
- By official visitors to the University and is appropriate to the purpose of the visit.
- In connection with a public service activity and the equipment does not exist elsewhere or is not reasonably otherwise available to the user.