What We Do

The Payroll Department is responsible for the timely and accurate processing of all university payrolls. We strive to continually improve and streamline our business practices in collaboration with the university’s strategic plan.

The information provided here is general in nature and designed to answer the most frequent payroll questions and requests. While we cannot provide tax advice, we can assist you with questions on:

  • Semi-monthly and Biweekly Payroll questions
  • Paycheck questions
  • Timesheet and Leave questions
  • Direct Deposit
  • Federal and State withholding information

Payroll Resources

To Add a New Account or Change an Existing Account

  1. Log onto Patriot Web
  2. Select “Employee Services”
  3. Select “Employee Dashboard”
  4. Under Pay Information select “Direct Deposit Information”
  5. Your current pay distribution will appear on the top. Under Proposed Pay Distribution Select
  6. A new pop up window will open prompting you to choose one of two options: (1) Create from existing account information or (2) Create new
  7. Enter your direct deposit information, check the box to authorize the deposit, and click on “SAVE NEW DEPOSIT”
  8. You will receive an email confirming a change was made to your direct deposit allocation.

To Delete an Existing Account

  1. Log onto Patriot Web
  2. Select “Employee Services”
  3. Select “Employee Dashboard”
  4. Under Pay Information select “Direct Deposit Information”
  5. Click the check box to the left of the bank account to select it
  6. Click the option on the right.
  7. You will be prompted to confirm your action. To do so click
  8. Delete otherwise choose “Cancel”
  9. You should receive an e-mail confirming a change was made to your direct deposit allocation.

Mason offers an employee service that makes income and employment verification easy and automatic. We have partnered with a third-party vendor to provide a 24/7, quick, and private way to obtain proof of income and/or employment. To learn more please visit  

For general information about compensatory leave and overtime, please read the Compensatory Leave and Overtime Guidelines.

Overtime Leave Agreement

To complete an overtime leave agreement, please fill out the Overtime Leave Employee Agreement Form f and submit it to Payroll:

  • Scan and email to
  • Fax to 703-993-2601

Request Overtime Leave Pay Out

To request overtime leave pay out, please fill out the Request for Overtime Leave Pay Out form and submit to HR & Payroll:

Nine-month faculty are eligible to spread their compensation over 9-months or 12-months. The pay schedule will remain the same for current faculty and will only change if the faculty member completes the online form prior to the start of the academic year (August 25th). If the faculty member previously elected to have their academic year compensation paid out over a 12-month period and wish to maintain that election, no further action is required.

The election is irrevocable for the academic year and cannot be changed after the commencement of the academic year as per the Internal Revenue Code – IRC 409A. New faculty will continue to default to be compensated over a 9-month period and will have the opportunity to elect to be paid over 12 months beginning the following academic year.

9-Month Deferred Pay Options Chart:


To enroll or make a change to your current election, please complete the 9-Month Faculty Pay Selection Form. HR & Payroll must receive your completed form no later than July 31. Your election will remain in effect unless you submit an additional form during a future-year open enrollment period.


It is not necessary to re-enroll each year. Faculty will continue to be in the 9 paid 12 pay plan option until they elect to change their election.

Position Changes

Faculty must withdraw from the plan if they plan to retire or enter into their final year of a phased retirement agreement, have an FTE reduction, take a leave of absence, or go on long-term disability. If you are planning on retiring during or after the academic year, any deferred amount remaining will be paid to you in one lump sum and is subject to all federal and state tax regulations.

Benefit Deductions

Benefit deductions that are in effect for 12 months for faculty paid over 12 months (i.e. medical, dental, etc.) will be deducted over the entire 12 months instead of 9 months. Retirement deductions and university contributions to retirement as well as tax withholdings will be based on wages paid, not wages earned.

Tax Implications

There could be additional tax implications/fees when electing to defer pay. Therefore, it is recommended that faculty consult with a tax advisor regarding any questions about the potential impact of electing to receive compensation over 12 months.

Summer Pay

The election to defer pay over 12 months will have no impact on summer pay. 9 month faculty will still be paid additionally for teaching summer courses.

How Deferred Pay Works

For more information on how deferred pay works please review our document.