International Tax Office Responsibilities
The International Tax Office is responsible for ensuring the University complies with U.S. tax and immigration law when making payments to or on behalf of its foreign visitors, vendors and in some instances, payments for services outside the U.S.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- I9 and E-verify of all foreign national employees at Mason
- Determination of tax status for Mason’s foreign visitors (students, scholars, independent contractors and others).
- Analysis of payments to foreign visitors (scholarship/fellowship, employment income, independent contractor income, travel reimbursements, and honoraria).
- Analysis of payments to foreign vendors, such as royalty payments to software vendors, foreign consulting services and overseas institutions.
- Preparation of the 1042s.
- Assistance with year-end tax preparation for the university’s foreign visitors including the administration of the tax preparation software.