Prepare the Required Documents >>
Foreign Nationals Must:
- Complete on-line Foreign National Information Form. Please e-mail the International Tax Office at email@example.com to obtain an access to the form
- Bring all immigration documents showing proof of visa history
Additional Documents for Wage Income (Employment):
- Social Security Number card, or
- Receipt letter from the Social Security Administration, or
- Letter from the IRS showing the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
Examples of documents to bring to the appointment:
- Passport (both current and past)
- I-20, DS2019, or I-797 approval notice (both current and past)
- I-94 departure card
(White or green card stapled in passport, or print out of the digital I-94/admission record). In absence of I-94 card, a copy of stamped page in passport showing the entry date and the immigration status the inspector allowed the visitor to enter.
- Printed entry and exit dates for complicated visa histories
- Employment Authorization Card, etc.
Access the Foreign National Information Form >>
- The online form is only available upon request.
- The form can only be accessed with a username and password
- To request access to the form, submit a request to the International Tax Office either through:
- phone at 703-993-5223, or
- e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The request should contain the person’s first name, last name, G number and e-mail address.
- You should soon receive an e-mail with log-in instructions including your username and password.
- Change your password when you log-in for the first time
- Please remember your username and new password as you may need to access the online form again to update information and/or access tax forms at a later time
- The form must be completed prior to visiting the International Tax Office
Complete the Foreign National Information Form >>
The Foreign National Information Form must be completed prior to the appointment. A reasonable attempt to complete the form must be made or the foreign national will be asked to come back after completing the form.
Tips for Completing the Form
- Foreign Taxpayer ID
You may leave this blank if you do not know or do not have a foreign taxpayer ID number.
- In Step 5: Visa/Immigration Status History
Since tax status is determined by your physical presence in the U.S. (visa history), please take time to follow the directions and complete this step as best you can. Note that if you are here for the first time, you will only have one visa record.
- In Step 6: Confirmation
Be sure to confirm your information.
- Saving with errors
It is OK to save with errors in most cases except for Step 5.
- Complete the form as best as you can.
Modifications can be made during your appointment. However, if Step 5: Visa/Immigration Status History is not complete you will be asked to re-schedule your appointment – no exceptions.
- Arrive on time.
Since tax appointments are usually scheduled back-to-back, please arrive on time. If you are late, you may be asked to reschedule depending upon the status of the currently scheduled appointments.
Apply for the Social Security Number or ITIN Letter >>
Types of Taxpayer ID Numbers
The Social Security Number (SSN) and the Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) are the two types of taxpayer ID numbers.
Taxpayer ID Numbers are required for reporting income to the IRS by both the individual and the withholding agent (Mason).
Social Security Numbers are required for individuals earning wage income (employment); Taxpayer ID Numbers are required when individuals are ineligible for a SSN.
Those new to the U.S. or never previously offered employment should first:
- Apply for a Social Security number, and
- Bring the Receipt Letter from the Social Security Administration as proof of application.
Proof of Employment for Non-Immigrants:
In general, non-immigrants must be able to prove employment eligibility, proof of employment and identity.
Proof of Employment for Students:
Students have additional requirements for showing proof of employment, authorization from Office of International Programs AND Services (OIPS) and enrollment.
**Handouts for obtaining the SSN are provided on the OIPS Office website.**
- SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION – Application for a Social Security Card
- OIPS Office website
Learn about Foreign Nationals with Complicated Visa History >>
Foreign nationals who have a complicated visa history should take time to prepare a list showing prior visits to the U.S., including immigration statuses and entry and exits dates.
Example of U.S. Prior Visit List:
|Immigration Status||U.S. Date of Entry||U.S. Date of Exit||Total # of Days||Primary Purpose|
- IRS website
- IRS Forms and Publications
- Social Security Administration
- International Students And Social Security Numbers
- Your Social Security Number And Card
- Social Security Numbers for Noncitizens
- Identify Theft and Your Social Security Number
- Information for Foreign Students and Scholars – IRS website
- Tax Treaty Text Listed by Country
- Handbook for Employers