The small purchase charge card – or P-Card – provides Mason employees with the opportunity to streamline procedures for procuring and paying for small-dollar goods and services by eliminating vendor invoices and consolidating payments.
Who can apply? Only full or part-time employees are eligible for a P-Card. Contract workers and student workers are not eligible.
How to Apply? Before a P-Card will be issued, the employee must complete the on-demand training available here. Once this has been completed, fill out and submit the P-Card Application.
Reporting and Reconciliation. Cardholders are required to maintain accurate records and reconcile charges on a monthly basis through Bank of America Works. Keep these records for a minimum of three years in the cardholder’s department or ten years if charging sponsored research funds. These departmental records will also be used for Fund/Org reconciliations.
Purchasing Office. The Purchasing Office’s webpage provides detailed information when making a purchase on behalf of George Mason University. It is very important that you review this page and the available links for information on what is an allowable purchase (Can I Purchase…?), considering mandatory and specialized purchases, and available institution contracts among many other helpful resources.
To Complete a P-Card Purchase through eVA
- Register the P-Card with eVA (see P-Card Manual).
- Identify an eVA vendor that sells the required good or services and accepts a credit card as a form of payment.
- Create a requisition in eVA for the items desired. Select the P-Card as the payment method and enter the Allocation information in eVA.
- Save a copy of the eVA order (PCO) and retain it with other original documentation such as receipts, packing slips, etc.
- Sign in to Bank of America Works and allocate the transaction to the correct fund/org and account before the monthly deadline. Enter the full PCO#.
- Ensure that the P-Card Supervisor approves the transaction in Bank of America Works before the deadline.
Purchase Directly with the Vendor
A cardholder may pay for goods/services directly with the vendor using their P-Card. In cases where a vendor’s website contains essential ordering details making it a more efficient method of purchasing, cardholders may place the order directly with the vendor at their place of business, over-the-counter, over the phone, or through the vendor’s website’s secure payment portal.
- Inform the vendor that you are purchasing on behalf of the university and are tax-exempt.
- Retain receipts for the purchase.
- Sign in to Bank of America Works and allocate the transaction to the correct fund/org and account before the monthly deadline.
- Ensure that the P-Card Supervisor approves the transaction before the monthly deadline.
Lost or Stolen P-Card
If the card is lost or stolen, immediately notify Bank of America at 1-888-449-2273 so that the compromised account will be closed.
The cardholder must also notify the <a href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”> P-Card Administrator</a> to have a new card generated.